Notepad ++ is an excellent open source text editor with heaps of functionality. This tutorial will show you how to install the compare plugin and then compare files in notepad ++.
- Navigate to: https://sourceforge.net/projects/npp-compare/files/126.96.36.199/ComparePlugin.v188.8.131.52.bin.zip/download to download the plugin.
- The file that’s downloaded should be called ComparePlugin.v.184.108.40.206.bin.zip.
- Right click on it and extract the files
- When the folder extracts enter it, you should see a file called
- Copy this file
- Paste the file to:
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Notepad++\plugins – depending on how you installed notepad ++ you may need to paste it to C:\Program Files\Notepad++\plugins
- Start Notepad ++ (restart if you already have it open) and open the two files you want to compare.
- Right click on one of the files and select move to Other view.
Now click Plugins, Compare and Compare again.
You can now see the differences highlighted in Notepad ++
A full video tutorial can be found here: