In this short tutorial you will learn the basics of navigating the Linux file system.
By the end of this tutorial you will know how to:
1. Change directory.
2. Print you working directory.
3. List the contents of a directory.
4. Switch quickly between the current and previous directory.
The commands that you need to follow this tutorial are:
- pwd (print working directory shows the directory that you are currently in)
- ls (list the contents of the folder)
- ls Downloads (lists the contents of the downloads folder)
- Cd / (move back to root (top) level of your operating system)
- ls -lt (shows newest file first)
- cd – (switch between the current and previous folder)
- cd .. (Move back up one directory)
- cd ~ (moves you to your home folder)